[OM] OM] ring flash for people? -Reply

Subject: [OM] OM] ring flash for people? -Reply
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:57:38 -0800
There are ring flashs used to shoot people (mostly fashion photoraphy)
They, however, are not macro ring flashs nor would you really need ttl
flash in studio fashion photograhy.  Most of the units I have seen are
designed for medium format cameras however, I see no reason that they
can't be used on 35mm.  These units are quite expensive and just as
powerful as guide 140 and higher.  Also one can usually get the same
effect by arranging unbrellas in a semi-circular arrangement around a
model's face or body.  I like doing this with  units such as the T32's.
Usually three umbrellas arranged in a U around the model are ideal.  The
effect is almost a flawless & even soft flash.  It's better to use a
flash meter (ttl is not ideal here) to get readings so that the
umbrellas can be arranged precisely to give exact readings on every part
of the model.  You'd be surprised at how many cover models are shot this
way.  Larson has developed some newer umbrella/softbox designs to give
this very even "ring flash effect".  Try it next time you do a studio
portrait.  You'll never go back to the old single softbox.

Phillip Franklin