RE: [OM] Scanners & films

Subject: RE: [OM] Scanners & films
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 05:13:58 -0600
Zuiks,

After some excellent advice from Phillip & George and all the others, I've
decided that I'm going to do some shooting/scanning tests on a variety of
tranny films and check out how they perform on my scanner.  This will
accomplish:  a) Allow me to figure out what film scans best on my ES-10, b)
give me an excellent reason to shoot lots & lots of film through my -4 to
get comfortable with this new-fangled multi-spot metering thang prior to
the Utah trip in late December, and c) take some of the stress off my poor
wallet from holding all that extra money, and d) allow me to calculate
exactly what ISO the combination of film and OM-4 meter produces the best
results.

The E6 I'll have processed in one batch by a consistently good pro lab in
town.  The K14 processing will be a crapshoot, but I've gotten pretty good
results in the past.  I'll shoot some boring landscapes, flesh tones (yeah,
you guys will be thoroughly sick of my kids' faces when this is over) and a
18 0ray card.

I'll scan the best exposures on the ES-10 and post 'em to the web for your
perusal.  Additionally, I'll package up the final set of slides and send it
to other listees with different scanners so's they can do the same scanner
tests if they'd like.

I'm going to shoot:
Kodachrome 25
Kodachrome 64
Fuji Velvia
Kodak E100
Kodak E100SW
Kodak E100VS  (one of my current favorites)
Agfa RSX 50
Agfa RSX 100

Are there any other significant films in <= ISO 100 range I should include?
 Does Seattle Filmworks make tranny film?  <g>

E6 results will be up on the web this weekend, K14 in about a week and a
half -- I'll send out the URL.

Dave