RE: [OM] OM10 or OM-1N???

Subject: RE: [OM] OM10 or OM-1N???
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:15:29 +0100
Hola tio,

> Please, can somebody explain the differences betwen the two new focusing
> screes ( 2-4 and 2-13) on a OM 4?

The 2-4 is an all-matte type, whereas the 2-13 has a wedge and a microprism.
Both screens are 2 stops brighter than the 1 series screens, making them
very convenient to use (especially in low-light conditions). A thing I've
noticed though, is that the rendering of out of focus objects is much
coarser with a 2-series screen than with a 1-series screen.

> How work theese new screens with lenses wide and tele ?

Supposedly the 2-13 is recommended for wide angles and the 2-4 for (super)
telephoto lenses. I currently only have a 2-4 and consequently use that for
everything from 24mm to 300mm (600mm if I add the 2xA), this seems to work
fine, and even with the 24mm I don't experience difficulty in focusing,
however, reportedly some people do. The issue with using a 2-13 with slow
telephotolenses (F5.6 and slower) is that the prism wil darken, and that you
then need to focus on the matte area anyway.

> Which one is the best for work with OM 4, 21-3.5, 28-2, 35-70 3.6 and
> 85-250 ?

Theretically you would assume the 2-13 to be more suited for the two wide
angles, and there shouldn't be a difference for the other two lenses.
However, a lot also depends on your own preference; I'm still pretty much
used to the 1-13 that was installed in my OM-40, so at times it's a bit
weird for me to focus only on the matte area of the 2-4 in my OM-4Ti. For
these reasons I'm considering trying a 2-13 to see which I like better.
Nonetheless, the 2-4 works nicely for me too, and either 2 series screen is
an "improvement" over the darker counterparts in the 1-series.

> I want to try one new series 2 screen with this gear, but I don´t know the
> work of each one .

I hope this helps somewhat. I guess if you're very used to the 1-13, you
might want to start out with a 2-13. On the other hand, if you want to use
slow glass and/or don't mind focussing on the matte area, go for the 2-4.

Now where is that 2-10 that Oly has always failed to make :(((

Cheers!
Olafo