[OM] Olympus Camedia 2500 Results

Subject: [OM] Olympus Camedia 2500 Results
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:13:02 -0800
On a  photo shoot Monday we took along the new Camedia 2500, and I have
just started looking at the results.  We were shooting a new Ford 450
truck outdoors next to the waves.  Of course most of the real shots were
done in medium format but we brought along the 2500 and of course I took
my OM3 with Kodak E100 and OM4 with Kodak Gold 100.  Well I just got
through comparing the scanned negs of the OM4 with (shot with a
50mm/1.4) and the 2500.  Ok... there is no comparison.  Although this
Camedia produces an image size of exactly 6.71mb which is very good for
this class of digital camera, the Kodak Gold 100 in the OM4  just
produces image quality, color, sharpness and contrast that the Camedia
2500 can't even come close to.  Not only that it has some very serious
problems when getting reflections of the chrome on the truck.  It either
flares bad off the ccd sensor or there was some problems writing some
files to memory. I think it is the former.

Just to note I also put some color neg film in a Nikon and shot with a
Nikkor 16mm full frame fisheye.  In comparing the scans on the ol
Minolta QS 35 Plus, the Zuiko glass produced perfect color with no scan
adjustments and just an auto level ajustment in Photoshop; where as this
Nikkor glass was building a tad of green in the unadjusted scan.  Well
maybe it's just  not fair to compare the standard Zuiko glass to the
Nikkor fisheye. But it does put a slight new twist on scanner tests in
that different glass can account for some color adjustment. I like to
use the 50mm as reference.

So I will put some of these images on my website if any one is
interested. Let me know.

Phillip Franklin