Re: [OM] Seattle Chrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Seattle Chrome
From: "Gettis John" <jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 02:45:22 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: nfoltz <nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 1999 5:52 PM
Subject: [OM] Seattle Chrome

> Actually Seattle Filmworks has a film calle Seattle Chrome
> and I used it trying to take some Green Flash pictures of the Sun
> through my 500mm reflex lens on a Vivitar zoom extension doubler
> and it worked !   Although Seattle Filmworks is secretive about their
> films and processes, I think that all their film is produced by Agfa and
>
> that it is cut from cinematography film.
> I am reasonably sure that the Seattle Chrome film is reversal processed
> because I can see the Green Flash on the "Chromes" (diapositives) but
> not on the negatives, prints or the CD scans.
>
> I wish that I knew more about the Seattle Chrome Film process, perhaps
> then I could use it effectively.
> It is my understanding that the companies like Seattle film works got
their start by buying the unused film from movie companies that had some
left over from the production of feature films.  They would not have enough
left to do another movie and wanted all the same emulsion so that the colors
in the scenes could be matched correctly.  The film differs from regular
35mm film in that it has a anti-halation backing on it and it must be
removed before processing.  Because regular 35mm film does not have this
backing the processing machines are not set up to deal with this.  Another
difference is that it is they are a tungsten balance film and if you shoot
without a filter most printers are not set up to balance for this.  Seattle
Film works has modified their machines to deal with this.  I have never seen
any results from this type of film that I would find acceptable but I too
have two or 3 rolls lying around the house just gathering dust.  I like the
Idea of checking for  scratches with it though.
John Gettis