[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1263

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1263
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:11:53 +0100
Cc: poelsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Giles forwarded a message for Ben Poels:
-----
Hi,

I have just acquired a used BG2 and have a few questions.

Right now the only connector I have is the built in PC
cord. This seems to fit rather loosely in the FP/X socket
of both my OM bodies. Sometimes the flash does not fire and
I suspect that it must be this poor connection. Is this a
common problem with these units?

I believe that the built-in connector only provides flash
sync. For OTF flash with my T32 what is the best connector
arrangement? There is a socket on the T32 as well as at
the base of the BG2. Does it matter which is used?

When four C cells are present does it work independently
of the AA's in the flash unit?

Any other tips or comments about the BG2 are welcome.

Thanks,

Ben
-----
Congratulations on your purchase Ben! And welcome to the list?

A poor connection can certainly be the problem with your setup. But because you
use a normal PC connector you cannot see flash ready indication. If you take
several flashes with short intervals the flash might be not ready to fire again.
Also the FP/X switch (integrated in the socket, try to rotate it) can be
somewhere in the middle and not making a good contact.

The best connection depends a little on the body you are using. Wit OM2SP, OM3's
and OM4's you can use the 5 pin socket on the front of the body and a T-series
cable.

With a OM2n you can either use a type 4 Connector and a normal TTL cable
OR
type 4 shoe and a special .6M TTL cable which fits the shoe on one side and the
T32/T45/BGII/Multi-connector at the other side.

I like the second option best because I don't have to take of my shoe 4 and
re-attach connector 4.

It does not matter if you use the socket on the T32 or on the base of the BGII.

Batteries in the flash and BGII are used together to give the shortest recycling
times. You don't need batteries in both at the same time, but it shortens
recycling. Mixing NiCD's and Alkalines (or any combination for that matter) is
not recommended.

If I use my BGII with batteries the sound of my T32 changes. When fully charged
I hear an intermittend high/low tone and I see the flash ready light in the
viewfinder pulsating to. Everything works fine however. I have asked the list
and this seems normal.

If you also own a winder or motordrive I would advise to buy or make a cable
connection between the BGII and the winder/MD. You can expose and advance film
by pressing the button on the BGII.

Hope this helps. Ejoy!
Wiliam Wagenaar, Middelburg, the Netherlands.