Re: [OM] Seattle Chrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Seattle Chrome
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:16:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Gettis John wrote:

> > It is my understanding that the companies like Seattle film works got
> their start by buying the unused film from movie companies that had some
> left over from the production of feature films.

Ah, I see.

> The film differs from regular
> 35mm film in that it has a anti-halation backing on it and it must be
> removed before processing.

Yes, I can see that would be a problem for a conventional lab to deal
with.  What about DIY processing, though?  is it feasible to try to
remove the backing by hand as you load it into the film spiral?

> difference is that it is they are a tungsten balance film

Now that's interesting.  I it always the case?  I know v. little about
the movie industry but thinking about it, I suppose it would be easier
for them to standardise on one type of film (tungsten balanced and from
the same batch) and use filters for daylight shots.

What speed is this stuff?  If it can be had in say 400ASA upwards, or
push processed (in bog standard E6 chemistry?) and I can get hold of
some v. cheaply, I might be tempted to experiment.  Any of you who've
looked at my gallery submission can probably figure where I'm heading
with this.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |