Re: [OM] Wildlife photo by Mitsuako Iwago

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildlife photo by Mitsuako Iwago
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:10:47 +1100
Ulf Westerberg wrote

> I stumbled
> upon a very nice wildlife photo book by this much acclaimed japanese
> photographer titled "Wildlife" (Chronicle books 1998)

Nice book; I got it for Christmas last year. He seems, with few
exceptions, to prefer low contrast and muddy colours... who
else dares to underexpose so much? There are some cracker
shots here: the penguins on p 209 are my favourite.

Thanks to Chronicle for putting this out, but they
should have taken more care with the captions. The Australian
section renders the Bungle Bungles as "Bangle Bangle",
Salvation Jane as "Celebration Jane", Coorong as "Coulon",
and (I think) Currumbin as "Kanangra". There are one or
two factual errors there too. The plastic covering - like
that a schoolchild uses, complete with sticky tape - is
downright amateurish. I guess Chronicle's a small outfit -
the big guys were too busy publishing yet another cookbook.

Many wildlife pictures are taken by locals, often semi-pro,
who have the advantage of local knowledge and being
on the spot. Many seem bland, either because the photographers
don't have much of a style or because the picture libraries
like it that way. Even though Iwago, to judge by the
Australian locations listed in the book, hasn't really
ventured away from standard tourist destinations, his
pictures are artistic in a way that most wildlife photos
aren't.

I've seen the book around on remainder, and available on
discount through book clubs. It was already good value
at full price.