Re: [OM] focusing screen?

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing screen?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:58:33 EST
In a message dated 11/27/99 5:34:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lriina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> When I look through my OM1N
>  Viewfinder the subject is often very dark and the light meter is hard to
>  see. Also there are several marks present. The circle that one focuses
>  within is also hard to see clearly.  Is this the focusing screen mentioned
>  in previous recent emails and can it be changed and if so what is
>  recommended for my macro/portrait medical work?

There are a few options for your OM-1n in regards to brighter screens. The
Olympus 2 series screens (2-4 and 2-13) are excellent, but they need to be
modified to fit your camera by filing down the tab somewhat. I believe there
are instructions on th eweb somewhere on how to do this (try the FAQ, maybe?)

The Beattie screens are also supposed to be very good. They are available in
more varieties, including grid.

There is also a special purpose macro screen, the 1-12, which provides a very
bright image which is an aerial image, not a real one. It includes crosshairs
which are useful when focusing. This is a special purpose screen, and not
practical for general use.

The caveat to all of these solutions is that they will throw off your meter.
You'll need to do some tests and adjust your ASA settings, or get your meter
recalibrated.

Another, more expensive, solution, might be faster lenses.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings