Re: [OM] coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] coatings
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:55:43 -0800 (PST)
  I was waiting for someone to bring up this point,
thank you Mr.Ernens. I believe both Roger and Frank
make good points. No doubt complex zoom and fast
lenses benefited most from MC development. Back in the
mid70's Pentax was the first to promote sales by
advertizing the advantages of their Super MultiCoating
Technology (SMCT) lenses. Other camera co's (N,C,O,M)
were quick to point out that they had been mc'ing
their lenses for some time. Pentax countered ; "Yes we
know that for years most quality lenses have been
coated with 2 or 3 layers on at least some air to
glass surfaces, but we put up to 7 very thin layers on
all surfaces." And so the controversy raged for years.
It looks like its still raging. For those of us who
shoot with moderate speed primes with only 5,6 or7
elements the advantages of MC are probably not as
apparent as with Ultra-wide,high speed or zoom lenses.
Most of my lenses are old SC Zuikos that are a bit
scruffy cosmetically. I suspect that is true for alot
of old timer Zuiks. If a person is just now building a
system, by all means try to obtain later MC glass, but
for those who already have a too expensive to replace
collection of older Zuikos, then use and enjoy them.
 Just my two cents.