RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:24:24 -0600
Ron,

I'm not familiar with PS 5 (I use 4.01), so my routine may be old hat.

A TIF image of 20-27 MB will save to a much smaller file using LZW
compression.  If you are saving as .PSD files, they will be much larger,
particularly if you are saving multiple layers, etc.

If your sole purpose is to prepare a file for web use, you might start by
saving the high res scan in JPG instead of TIF format and then try your
save-for-web routine.

I don't want to burden you with this now, but down the road you might wish
to experiment with Ed Hamrick's VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com).  It
allows you to do a base scan at 2700 but explore various averaging
algorithms (I like 2x2) which generate a very sharp scan at half the size.
There may be theoretical reasons not to do this, but I am actually quite
impressed with the results, so much so that I often prefer to use these
settings and then scale up the file when I want to print enlargements of
8X10 or greater. Then again the LS-30 may have better software than my
LS-20 (which I certainly hope!).

Joel