Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:52:26 +0000
With the Minolta D'Image film scanner I usually scan at an input resolution
of 610dpi, selecting output for screen (72dpi).  When I selected 'precision
mode' (which gives more control) the output resolution was set to 350dpi.
I don't see any point in scanning any higher than 72dpi, since I'm going to
resize the image (from around 870 pixels on long edge to 500 or 600 max)
and sharpen before saving as a jpeg.

I think scanning at high resolution for web use is unnecessary, monitor
performance is probably far more relevant.  I would be glad to be proved
wrong, but it sounds to me like using a 5x4" sheet film camera to make
cheap colour enprints - an APS format minilab print would be adequate.  I
don't feel that my web site images suffer, and bearing in mind that
download time is also a factor, I'll stick with what I'm doing.  I'm going
to experiment with output resolution, to see if it affects final image size.

Simon E.