RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:26:41 -0600
At 09:30 AM 11/30/1999 +0000, Ian you wrote:
>LZW is indeed a lossless compression scheme, however, I have found that
>with scanned photographic images it doesn't work very well at all.
>There's no quality loss but I've found that the resulting files actually
>get *bigger* as often as they get smaller, and that any reduction you do
>get is not worth the extra processing overhead to decompress the
>"compressed" data.
>
>Using TIFF without any compression gives about the same average file
>size with much quicker load times, IME.
>
>Try it, you'll see.

Yes, I did try this.  The same scan with and without LZW compression
produced a 20maller file with compression.  The compressed file does
indeed load and save more slowly.

I'm glad you pointed this out, and I think I'll experiment a bit more with
it, but for now I'll continue to use LZW compression.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA