Re: [OM] focusing screen?

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing screen?
From: Tom Trottier <Tom@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:10:43 -0500
At 09:38 1999/11/30 +0000, Ian A. Nichols wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Tom Trottier wrote:
>
>> b) because the auto diaphragm is not working.
>>
>> To test b), take the lens off and adjust the f/stop setting. If you can see
>> the diaphragm narrow, your lens needs CLA (Clean, Lube. & Adjust).
>
>Erm, don't forget to press in the depth-of-field preview button though,
>because the aperture shouldn't stop down until you do.  I don't mean to
>be patronising here,it's just that some folks out there might not be
>compulsive tinkerers and not have known this.

I did mean WITHOUT pressing the the DOF preview button.

If the diaphragm narrows without pressing this button, it means that the
Auto diaphragm is no longer Auto. The spring that keeps the lens at full
aperture isn't, for some reason, able to do it, thus causing the dimness of
the focusing screen.
From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
    __o  Voice: +1 613 291-1168 fax(no ads, please): 594-5412
  _ \<   "Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein
(*)/'(*) TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx