Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:56:42 -0000
Simon E. wrote:

>> With the Minolta D'Image film scanner I usually scan at an input
resolution
>> of 610dpi, selecting output for screen (72dpi).  When I selected
'precision
>> mode' (which gives more control) the output resolution was set to 350dpi.
>> I don't see any point in scanning any higher than 72dpi, since I'm going
>> resize the image (from around 870 pixels on long edge to 500 or 600 max)
>> and sharpen before saving as a jpeg.

When making 640x480 images (for emailing) with the D'Image Scan Dual, my
experience
is that scanning at full resolution and then reducing in Photoshop tends to
give
rather better-looking results than just scanning at 640x480 res.

Strong diagonals, in particular, are smooth in the former and jagged in the
latter.

It seems to me that the Minolta software does something similar to
point-sampling
when reducing resolution, which gives worse results than the more
sophisticated
(bi-cubic) filtering that Photoshop can do.

However, with only 64Mb of RAM, downsampling in the driver makes the process
*much*
faster.

-Brian (waiting for memory prices to come back down)