RE: [OM] Ebay

Subject: RE: [OM] Ebay
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:25:24 Set the time zone in the Time preference utility
>I am not usually one to critisize, but do you mean to say that you are
going
>to bid on this item with no intention of buying it simply because you
are
>too lazy to click your mouse to find out how much it sells for?  And
what if
>you put a bid on it and - horror of horrors - the reserve was met?
Would
>you honour your bid?  Do you go to home auctions and bid just for fun?
Mind
>you I suppose that the other 3 eople who have bid on this item are
just like
>you!  If you don;t want to buy it then don;t make it harder for others
who
>*are* interested.

oh heck, I do this too sometimes, just on the off chance I can get it
for a low price.

I bid 65$ recently on a zuiko 35mm f/2.8. It did not meet reserve. The
auction closed at 36$. The seller didn't even consider that to be close
enough to start negotiations. I know I can get one from B+H for 79$, so
I certainly not going to bid above that. I checked the seller's web
page out, and he was selling it for 99$, which I was unwilling to pay.
I don't know what his reserve was, but it was probably in that
ballpark. Some sellers can be very unreasonable in setting reserves.

If you *know* what the thing sells for usually, and you are fairly
certain that you will be outbid, then there is no harm in bidding below
what the usual price is. Ebay will send you a convenient email with all
the details to make tracking the auction easy once you do bid.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright