Re: [OM] For Your Viewing Pleasure

Subject: Re: [OM] For Your Viewing Pleasure
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:00:06 +0100
John & Per wondered:

: > Also wondering if anyone has ever tried puting a video camera 0.5x wide
: > angle adapter (with 49mm ring) on the front of a Zuik?  Does it work and
: > how well (or how hideously)?

: Anyone who knows if Oly's iS/L wide adapters work on OM lenses?

I have a 0.42x semi-fiseye video converter with a 46->49 mm step-up ring, as
well
as the iS/L B-28 H.Q. Converter 0.8x converter, and a 49->55mm step-up ring, so
can answer both questions.

I have tried the video converter on my 21, 24, 28, 35, 40 and 50mm Zuikos,
mounted
on tripod and well stopped down, and none of these combinations produced a sharp
image in the edges and corners. I.o.w. it could not satisfy my hunger for the
real
thing, the 16mm Zuiko fisheye. It is more like a fun toy for an occasional
extreme
wide angle / fisheye shot, when you can live with its corner fuzzyness. You may
be
able to use it for creative effects. Higly recommended for the ADITL
self-portrait
shot.

The same applies more or less to the iS/L wide converter. Allthough it is of a
much higher quality than any video converter, it is calculated for the 35mm
focal
length. When you put it on the iS-3000 and zoom in, the edges and corners of the
image get blurred and you have a variable centre-spot fog lens. Very suitable
for
old-fashioned marriage portraits.
On the 35mm/F2 Zuiko image quality is good, but a real 28mm lens performs better
(and is much, much smaller). If you put it on an 28mm or 24mm Zuiko using an
49->55mm step-up ring, you'll notice that the edges and corners are not
completely
sharp, which doesn't seem to improve much with stopping down. On the 21mm/F3.5
Zuiko the edges get very blurred and the corners are vignetted.

Let's all sing together:

"It's the real thing!
Real is real,
Zuik is Zuik."