Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 17:21:37 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:04:04 -0800, george wrote:

>Unlike Chip, Dirk was saying he'd place a bid if he's "pretty sure he'll be
>outbid because he 'knows' the value of the item (unlike the rest of us
>uninformed bidders I guess) and then there's no harm"  Well, to me that says
>he must bidding pretty high if he can only be "pretty sure" he'll be outbid.
>EG: instead of bidding $23 on an item presently at $22, maybe he bids $90
>cause he's "pretty sure" it'll go for $100.

I think you misunderstood. I understood Dirk to suggest that he
would, in fact bid $23, being willing to take the item at $23, but
also being sure the item would go for $100 and he would be outbid
(possibly on the first try).

In a sense, this should satisfy many eBay critics, because at least
he's on record as being interested in the item, unlike a complete
sniper who doesn't bid at all until the last moment.

However, in the long run the principle is simple to me: If you're the
high bidder you get the item at or below the price you were willing
to pay - period -simple. No amount of sniping, monitoring, shilling,
or faux bidding will ever cause you to pay more than you were willing
to pay for an item.

BBB

 Well, he's pretty well assured
>that it will rise quite a bit in price because whenever a bidder tries to
>enter a bid, he'll be automatically outbid by Dirk's $90 bid.  No one can
>purchase this item for a 'bargain' price because Dirk's bid will keep
>driving the price up to just below his percieved value. Now this is a fine
>technique if you really want the item and are willing to pay no more than
>$90, but to do it just to track the item is the same as being a shill for
>the seller.
>
>George

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel