Re: [OM] OM2000 review

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 review
From: DSJKALLEN@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:46:45 EST
I have owned only manual, mechanical  SLRs since 1967.  I have owned, and
continue to own a number of Minolta SRTs, Nikon Fs, and others.  Strangely,
my first Olympus SLR acquistion was the OM2000.  If one can overlook its
Cosina-origin, it actually is a very good camera and the QC seems excellent.
Of course, the plastic bits and pieces bother me, but given its low price
point, I feel it's a bargain.  Only the test of time will show how reliable
it is.  BTW . . . I am sure most of you know that Cosina also manufactures
the Voigtlander Bessa-L -- a pretty well regarded new camera.

With my small collection of nice Zuiko lenses, it takes excellent prints and
transparencies.  For approx. $150 for the body here in the US, it makes a
very reasonable alternative to other mechanical SLR choices.  Additionally,
the real world performance of the Cosina 30-70mm zoom is really not too bad
as long as you keep it at F8 or F11.  For $229 for the entire package
(sometimes cheaper), it's a heck of a deal.

Maybe it's not a "real" Olympus, but for what it is and what it costs, it
performs very admirably.

Don Allen