Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: "imagineero ." <imagineero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:29:16 PST
There is harm in this - to other bidders who
approach the auction with a bit more integrity. You are driving up the
cost of the item for no other reason than your own amusement.

What utter nonsense. When a seller starts bidding on a lens at $25
that everyone knows will go for more than 10 times that amount, there
is no harm in bidding $50 to see how the auction goes. Those who
aren't at their computer in the final 15 minutes, don't really want
the item anyhow. If you can't deal with the reality of how ebay
works, don't shop there. Whinning here does no good.

I guess I shouldn't have started this whole piece of nonsense. i think that bids like these are blood in the water for ebay sharks. Especially on items that recieve more than 10 bids and become 'hot' items. Otherwise uninformed people who are concerned about the risks suddenly become bold enough to buy when they see many people are bidding on an item. I was unfair in my earlier criticism of the user (whose name escapes me now) who mentioned all that Oly stuff up for bid. I will repeat my main gripe; if you are going to buy then bid. If you are going to look then look. You say that if successful you would honor your bid, but I don't think that is your intention when you are bidding. You state that there is 'no harm in bidding $50 just to see how the auction goes'. You did not mention that you want to buy the item. I say that there is harm in this.