Re: [OM] from slides to print

Subject: Re: [OM] from slides to print
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:22:14 -0700

  I have some slides which at least I think are pretty great!
> I was wondering about the different methods of converting these into
> prints,

I have been producing slides from prints for some time and definitely feel
Ilfochrome(Cibachrome) is the gold standard.  With a little learning and
effort, the prints are not all that expensive when you take into account
their magnificent quality in terms of sharpness, saturation and longevity.
I have, though, heard from a lot of friends that high end digital
scans(usually drum scans, which most of us do not own), and high quality
laser output onto photographic paper rivals Ilfochrome and allows color
correction and the such on the PC.  The prints are expensive, but archival.
The quality that can be obtained using the type of film scanners that most
of us own and inkjet printers are quite good when kept small(8x10 or 11x14),
but are not archival using common methods and inks.  Those results, however,
may be all that you need and are quite inexpensive and easy to produce.  It
all depends on what you are trying to accomplish--large archival high detail
prints or nice prints just to hang on your wall.  Hope this helps.   I am no
expert, but have been at it for some time.

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM
USA