Re: [OM] Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay
From: Tom Trottier <Tom@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:44:19 -0500
At 09:25 1999/12/01 -0800, GMA wrote:
>Dirk Wright wrote:
>>
>> If you *know* what the thing sells for usually, and you are fairly
>> certain that you will be outbid, then there is no harm in bidding below
>> what the usual price is.
>
>This is what I was talking about when I addressed a previous message of
>yours implying that this is what you do.  What is your method of logic
>which allows you to say there's *no harm* in bidding when you have *no
>intention* of buying?  There is harm in this - to other bidders who
>approach the auction with a bit more integrity. You are driving up the
>cost of the item for no other reason than your own amusement.  Do you
>think real buyers want to pay your 'usual' price or more?  They're
>looking to pick up the item for as little as possible.  YOU are acting
>like a shill for the seller.  Have you thought of trying this tactic at
>a local car dealership?
>
>George

I often bid when I don't *expect* to win.
 - firstly, there is some small chance I will get it at my bid price
 - secondly, it shows up in "My Ebay" so
        - I can decide closer to the closing to increase the bid, or
        - just monitor the final price.
Tom
Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera

From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
    __o  Voice: +1 613 291-1168 fax(no ads, please): 594-5412
  _ \<   "Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein
(*)/'(*) TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx