Re: [OM] XA/XA2

Subject: Re: [OM] XA/XA2
From: Zone129@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 20:04:15 EST
In a message dated 12/03/1999 2:36:15 PM Mountain Standard Time,
DSJKALLEN@xxxxxxx writes:

> It's been a long time . . .  please refresh my memory on the Oympus XA and
>  XA2 series of cameras.  Which one had the initial higher price point?
I've
>  always been intrigued by these models, and have a chance to pick either
one
>  up at a very reasonable price.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Don

Hi Don,

I think someone else gave you the going price points on these two cameras
used.  As far as which one to get I'd say get the XA, damn the price.  It is
the photographer's point and shoot camera, superb lens quality and enough
control over exposure to make even an OM-1 user happy.  It features an
aperture slide control on the front of the camera and a corresponding readout
of the camera's chosen shutter speed.  With this you can have some control
over DOF effects as you wish.  There is a backlight exposure comp switch on
the bottom of the camera but I usually do this with the ASA setting as I can
get whatever plus or minus comp I want that way.  The XA is actually
identical to the Minox 35 as far as its control capability and frankly, much
easier to use than the Minox.

The XA2 is a nice point, focus and shoot but not really in the same league as
the XA though outwardly its body shell looks identical.  Lens is okay but not
the first class glass that the XA features.  The XA2 has the zone focus slide
in the same place as the XA's aperture control.  No real exposure control on
the XA2 except for using the ASA setting for exposure comp trick.

The XA's lens is an F Zuiko, 6 elements in five groups.  The lens is
sensitive to correct alignment though so I'd steer clear of cameras that have
the appearance of having been worked over by an ernest but unskilled
repairman unless you are able to give the camera a thorough picture taking
check out.  If the results from your XA aren't just about indistinguishable
from your OM lenses, then somethings wrong with it.  I like mine alot ;^)

I also use a Stylus Infinity as a beater camera,  its three element lens is
better than disposable cameras but nothing to write home about.  The XA2's
lens is sharper than the Stylus Infinity but I figure if I'm going to point
and shoot like the great unwashed masses I might as well let the camera focus
for me too!   I have my eye on the current model Stylus Epic as its four
element lens with aspheric surfaces is supposed to be excellent (I'm talking
about the single focal length base model, not the crappy zoom models )  The
in-the-hand ergonomics of the Epic are not as good as the slightly larger
Infinity I think but the better lens would make it worthwhile despite that.

Counting down, just 393 days until the new Millenium (don't be fooled by the
man on TV).

Regards,

Carl Turner

"Friends don't let Friends buy cameras on Ebay"