RE: offtopic virus Q RE: [OM] XA and flash

Subject: RE: offtopic virus Q RE: [OM] XA and flash
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 04:23:12 -0600
'Cause it originated at USC!  <g>

Seriously, though -- it's because the virus is something nasty dressed up
as something nice.  King Menelaus of Sparta was married to Helen of Troy.
 Through divine intervention she took off to hang out with Paris, the son
of the King of Troy, when he was visiting Sparta.  For some reason this
irritated Menelaus a great deal.  He proceeded to launch his entire fleet
(Helen's face was the one that launched a thousand ships) & send it to Troy
to retrieve Helen.  Troy, however, was built to withstand the world, & did
so.  The Greeks couldn't get in and layed siege to the city for 10 years.

Various things went on between Hector of Troy and Achilles during this
time, but that's for next semester.  <g>

The Greeks built a huge wooden horse.  A small number of Greek soldiers
climbed into the horse and it was sealed up.  It was left outside the city
whilst the balance of the Greek army sailed off into the sunset.  The
Trojans came out from behind the walls, thought the horse was a gift
(huh?), and took it inside the city.  They then partied the night away,
thinking that the Greek siege was over.  When the revelers were drunk &
asleep, the soldiers came out of the horse, killed the city's sentries &
opened the city gates.  The Greek army returned in their ships and did
nasty things to the Trojans and the city.

Dress up a nasty program with a name like HAPPY99, invite it into your city
(computer) and it does nasty things to your environment when you're not
looking.

Thinking Hector should have won,
Dave