[OM] Film/scanner tests

Subject: [OM] Film/scanner tests
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:13:29 -0600
Zuiks,

Well, I went to a local park yesterday and shot 9 rolls of slide film at a
children's playground to get my set of sample slides for scanning.  The
playground was chosen because it had people (flesh tones) in it, it was
colorful, and it was contrasty.  During the shoot, the sun went from almost
directly overhead to about 60 degrees, all at 90 degrees from the lens
axis.

Films tested:
Kodachrome 25
Fuji Velvia
Agfa RSX 50
Kodachrome 64
Agfa RSX II
Fuji Astia
Fuji Provia
Ektachrome E100VS
Ektachrome E100SW

I exposed them all in Auto mode on my OM-4 with a 24/2.8 at f5.6 to keep
the shutter speeds up with the slower films.  I used the exposure
compensation dial to expose frames from -2 stops to +2 stops in 1/3 stop
increments.  Shutter speeds went from +1/500 to around 1/30.  Prior to
beginning the shoot I did both a spot meter and averaging meter check on an
18 0ray card and it's reading matched both the Auto mode setting and my
LunaPro's reading, so I'm confident that there was nothing overly light or
dark in the frame.

The goal here being to a) find out what ISO a given film should be rated
with my OM-4's meter, and b) what film, exposed exactly right (for my
tastes) scans and prints the best on my scanner/printer setup (Olympus
ES-10S and Epson Stylus Photo 750).

I expect to get the E6 stuff back on Wednesday, and the K14 on Thursday or
Friday.  I'll scan the stuff next weekend and post the results on my web
page.  I'm having the film processed without cutting or mounting in order
to keep track of frame/exposure value.  My lab, while normally excellent,
has difficulties remembering to put the frame number on the mount.  With
the K14, I'll try, but...

These trannies will be available to any listees that want to save the $180
on the film & processing to conduct this test for themselves.  I'd be happy
to send the stuff out to you when I'm finished with it.  Then you can pass
it on to the next person, etc.  1st response to this email gets the film!

Thanks,

Dave