Re: [OM] Attachments - (was - possible virus heads up in msg)

Subject: Re: [OM] Attachments - (was - possible virus heads up in msg)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:04:59 -0700
At 01:43 PM 12/6/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi gang,
>Is it possible to send an attached file with a message to this list? Does
>the list server permit attachments? e.g I do not have a web site, so if i
>wanted you guys to comment on a photo, can i scan the photo and send it as
>an attached .jpeg? During my six months on the Oly list, i have never seen
>any attachments with any list member's message - is it a matter of list
>protocol or a restriction on the mail server?
>Intrigued,
>Arnab.

Arnab:

It's quite possible, since that's how I got "Happy99.exe" in the first place.
I also get a lot of ".vcf" attachments from various List members (a type of
"virtual business card," if I understand correctly).  In fact, the major source
of junk in my "Attachments" folder in Eudora Pro is from this type of stuff.  I
sweep my "Attachments" folder about once a week just to clear it up a bit.

I wouldn't go posting pics to the List, however -- it vastly increases the
amount of bandwidth required by the listserver, and most of the people you'd be
sending this picture to might not have any interest.  It's better to simply put
it on a Web page somewhere and let people decide for themselves whether they
want to see it (and incur the bandwidth hit -- especially if they're using a
dial-up connection...).  If you're itching for a particular picture to be
critiqued and don't have space, send it to me.  I'll post it without further
ado (no cleaning up, no admin, minimal HTML) and post the relevant URL back to
you.  Then you can decide whether you want to tell the rest of the world about
it.

Garth