[OM]Filter Questions

Subject: [OM]Filter Questions
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:01:45 -0800
Jim,

As a rule it's a good idea to put either a UV or Skylight over a lens
for protection.  Normally new quality (non scracted or marked) Tiffen,
Hoya, Cokin, Kenko, or Olympus or the many other consumer brands are
adequate for most outdoor shooting.  The high quality German filters
such as the multi-coated B+W filters are really better for most
situations where optimal high quality  lens performance is neccessary.
If you had  a new $900.00 Zuiko 90mm 2.0 macro, I would opt for the
multi-coated B+W, since I would assume some one paying that much for a
35mm glass would be interested in the most optimal performace from the
lens. What's an extra 40 or 50 bucks at that level.

However as I stated in previous posts, for the best overall performance
a most accurate color temperature control & contrast,  resin filters
(gels) can't be beat. Even the less expensive polyester gels are
probably more accurate at color temp control than the best B+W
multicoated glass.  Also these gel/shade kits are the easiest way to
avoid vingetting thru the super wides.

If you shoot with  large or even medium format you will learn much about
filters and that  they should not be used without specific knowledge as
to what one is doing.  For some reason 35mm shooters and hobbyists
really enjoy using these things. I would look closely at any $5.00 used
filter for scratches and flaws.  I have found that for some reason
scratched filters are really evident on shooting with my old SVHS
Panasonic video camcorder.  Also most inexpensive glass filters that
claim to be true 80A or 81A or ect. are not nearly as accurate as
marked.

Again I cannot over stress the convience and reliablity of shade/gel
systems for serious accurate color control work.

Phillip Franklin