[OM] Photos of the moon

Subject: [OM] Photos of the moon
From: Mike Rosenlof <rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:16:23 -0700
(Dirk Wright)
so, which lens do we use for photographing the moon? 300mm? 200mm?
600mm? I've never shot the moon before.,....... <g>

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright

To show up as more than a tiny spot, you need a really long lens. 600 is probably the minimum if you really want a moon photo. The moon is a sunlight object so f/16 at 1/ASA seconds is a good exposure. However the moon usually looks brighter than it really is, so opening up one stop from this works well.

This could also be a good opportunity to take photos by moonlight. This is obviously a long exposure, but the quality of light is very different than during the day.

---

mike rosenlof
rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx   mike_rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.indra.com/~rosenlof