[OM] lenses that reach 200mm

Subject: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:34:32 -0800 (PST)
I just looked at Gary Reese's evaluation of the 200/5 Zuiko, both
single-coated and multicoated.  I used to own a multicoated one and I
concur with Gary's data that this is not a good lens, as I suggested
previously.  His data also describes the single-coated version as having
moderately low contrast.  Although I haven't owned this (SC) version, if this
is correct, then I'd consider it to be a mediocre lens as well.

I have owned the following lenses available for OM mount that reach 200mm,
along with a couple zooms that only reach 150mm:

Olympus: 200/4 (MC, 2 samples), 200/5 (MC, 1 sample), 100-200/5 (MC, 1 sample),
         65-200/4 (MC, 1 sample), 75-150/4 (SC, 1 sample)

Tamron: 200/3.5 (1 sample), 70-210/3.5-4 (1 sample)

Vivitar: 70-210/3.5 Series 1 (MC, 67mm filter threads, 1 sample),
         70-210/3.5 Series 1 (MC, 62mm filter threads, 1 sample),
         70-150/3.8 (MC, close-focus version, 1 sample)
         200/3 Series 1 (1 sample).

Some were mediocre in quality, some were too heavy or difficult to handle for
consistently sharp pix (on or off tripod), but I was generally never fully
satisfied with many of them.  The ones I kept and liked the best are:

Vivitar: 70-210/3.5 Series 1 (62mm filter threads)
         70-150/3.8

Runners up were the 200/4 Zuiko and 65-200/4 Zuiko, and Vivitar 200/3.  All
of these are fine lenses, but I preferred the vivitar 70-210 for the following
reasons:

1. the 200/4 isn't enough sharper at 200mm or lighter weight than the
   70-210/3.5 (62mm filters) to give up the convenience of a zoom.  It takes
   a careful look to see the difference between these two lenses shot at
   200mm and f/4.  I'd give the edge to the 200/4 for corner sharpness and
   contrast, but they are pretty close.  the 200/4 is more flare-resistant
   also.  I was satisfied with the 200/4, but the 70-210/3.5 vivitar
   (62mm filters) is much lighter and more compact than a 200/4 plus 135/2.8
   that it replaced (and less expensive to boot).

2. the 65-200/4 is a fine lens, but the focal length adjustment cylinder is
   fully extended to focus at 200mm, making the lens a bit front heavy to
   the point that I felt this lens would be well served by having a tripod
   mount.  the vivitar 70-210 has the same cylinder retracted close to the
   camera at 210mm, so at the higher magnifications (200mm) where vibrations
   are more of a problem, the center of gravity is closer to the camera.
   This is a small thing, but it makes the lens handle much more comfortably
   on a tripod.  Also the Vivitar lens supports close focus at all focal
   lengths in the zoom range, instead of just at 65mm like the Zuiko zoom.
   I use the Vivitar zoom for closeups (sometimes with a Nikon 5T closeup
   lens on the front) set at 210mm when I need working distance for a
   closeup shot.  The 65-200/4 Zuiko is clearly inferior for this type of
   shot as a result.

3. the Vivitar 200/3 is a bit heavy for a prime lens.  the extra speed is
   nice, but I didn't feel I needed it for the work I do.  I might use it for
   flower portraits for a stronger separation of flower from background than
   is possible shooting at 210/3.5, but I usually do these types of shots at
   210/4 anyway.

4. The Tamron lenses above were acceptable, but nothing special.

Some other comments: I found the image quality of the 200/5, 100-200/5, and
75-150/4 Zuikos to be unacceptable.  The Vivitar 70-150/3.8 is a real sleeper
in that it is surprisingly quite good, better than any of these compact lenses
certainly, and quite inexpensive on the used market.  It makes a great
portrait lens also.  It is only slightly larger than a 135/2.8 Zuiko.

Well, such were my experiences.  I hope the content was useful enough to
justify the amount of text, but maybe it wasn't.

Cheers,

Joseph