Re: Correction: film reflectance was Re: [OM] OM-2S and reciprocity fa

Subject: Re: Correction: film reflectance was Re: [OM] OM-2S and reciprocity failure
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:57:06 +0100
appleb@xxxxxxxxxx schrieb:

> The last time I used this film (1986) I remember it being almost shiny
> metallic in appearance, hence the HIGH reflectivity.

That´s _after_ development. It nearly looks like an daguerreotype.

> Did they change it?  Is it now almost black?

It´s deep black _and_ shiny. The film is build in reverse order to
normal films. The emulsion is toward the presure plate and is covered
with a matte black light proof layer.
The base shows toward shutter and lens. So the light has to travel
through the shiny base to reach the light sensitive emulsion.

ADM and TTL flashmetering doesn´t work properly with the Pola 35mm,
because normal film is matte and close to 18 0ray reflectivity, while
the surface of the Pola might sometimes reflect to much light (because
it´s shiny) and sometimes not enough light (because it´s black).

But hey, this films are nice, among them are the only black and white
slide films available today, beside the Agfa Scala.

Both are expensive, the Agfa Scala a little bit less. The Pola (as you
expect it) is developed very quick. The Agfa Scala is a much faster film
(200-1600ASA). Polas grain is more coarse, but looks realy good.
A yes, I nearly forgot there is no problem with the Scala and ADM, TTL
flash metering.

Regards

Richard