RE: [OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?

Subject: RE: [OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?
From: "BJ Nicholls" <bjnicholls@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:09:45 -0700
Olaf & Ron,

Thanks for your kind words...

James,

I missed the OM1 vs. Shoe 4 issue... but the offer still stands. Perhaps a
little creative modification. I don't have a "Fix" shoe to compare the mount
and pin spacing, unfortunately.

Phillip,

Since I've had a fairly complete OM system for years, it's always a surprise
to see the prices for the more exotic Zuikos. I'm confident you're right
that the Nikon is an excellent lens. It's just that the Zuiko is so cool and
tiny. It's too bad that lens size appears to be the last consideration for
today's designers, but I'm sure it's cheaper to build them and still leave
room for autofocus gizmos. Autofocus in a fisheye still leaves me scratching
my head...

The other reason I'm doing a Nikon injection is in anticipation of decent,
affordable digital imaging SLR's maybe four years down the road. I hefted
the new Nikon D1. Affordable? No. $8000 in town with a waiting list. Decent?
For a certain niche of pros. It won't be too many years before there's an
affordable "35mm" size chip. Nikon is the most likely to stay backwards
compatible with existing lenses.

Now, I've seen net rumors about Olympus having a film/digital camera in the
works. Unless it's APS, I can't see how they could overcome the imaging area
differential. Any additional scuttlebutt?

Best,

BJ