RE: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?

Subject: RE: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 20:43:26 -0800
Hi Per,
I haven't seen anyone answer you so I'll give it a shot. As follows;
Snip!

Hi all
I mostly use my OM-2SP in super tele photography with my Sigma
600/8 mirror lens. I have trouble sometimes to focus however because the
central split-image rangefinder darkens, in spite of the fact that I use a
bright 2-13 screen. Would a 2-4 screen without central focussing aids be the
answer for me?
According to the The Unofficial Olympus OM Sales Information File at
http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm the 2-4
screen is suitable for super telephotography,
Per Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmården, Sweden

Snip!
I just recently tried a 2-4 so I'll give you my thoughts for its use with
"super teles".
I am not sure where the above information "...focusingscreens.htm"
originated from but it is in conflict with the little sheet that comes with
the 2-13 and 2-4 screens.  The sheet states that both the 2-13 & 2-4 are NOT
compatible with the 400mm, 500mm, 600mm & 1,000mm lenses.  It reads;
"Microprism, split-image prism and edges of the finder will darken".  There
have been several of the list members here who have great success with the
2-4 and 400mm+ lenses so I figured I would try one.

I recently shot about 6 rolls of Astia through an OLY 400mm f6.3 with this
screen.  Immediately I noticed the darkening around the edges, not bad just
not even.  Interestingly enough, when I put the OLY 1.4TC for 560mm, the
dark edges disappeared.  I haven't a clue why this happened.

Oly makes a specific screen for super teles, the 1-8.  This screen is
wonderful with these long mm lenses and is nearly as bright as the 2-4.  I
keep one in a body just for tele use.
The next best all around screens without microprisms and therefore work very
well with teles are the 1-4n & 1-10.  The 1-4n is brighter than the 1-10.

I guess many on this list thought I was out of my mind about a year ago when
I expressed my dissatisfaction with the 2-13 screen.  I just did not get
that snap in focus while using the matt part of the screen that I get with
the 1-4n, 1-8 and 1-10.  I do think it is a great screen for some shooting,
i.e.. dark indoor flash work with lots of vertical doorways to focus on with
the split image prism etc.

The jury is still out for me on whether the 2-4 will replace the 1-4n and
1-10 as an "ALL AROUND Screen".  I still need to test it with a variety
conditions and lenses.  It seems to have the same problem of lack of snap in
focus as the 2-13.  One of the possible areas for the 2-4 to really shine
may be in close-up work.
Maybe you can take your 75-150 and play with focusing using just the matt
area.  If you are happy, by all means get a 2-4 because that is what a 2-4
is.  I think B&H here in the USA sells the 2-x's for $69.00 and the 1-X's
for $39.00.

Good luck with your choice.

Buddy Walters