[OM] Scanning test images and Think twice if you like the 16mm focal le

Subject: [OM] Scanning test images and Think twice if you like the 16mm focal length
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:39:12 -0800
Skip,

I don't have access to a good professional scanner now to show you the those
Kodachromes...sorry.

I do think its a great idea to eventually scan all my Zuiko/ Leica M
/Nikkor/Rokkor X test slides and post them on the net sometime in the
future. I
do think it would do much to debunk popularly and collectively held myths
about
certain band names.

Part of my reluctance involves the thousands of 35mm Kodachromes which I would
prefer to scan only once in my life... so I'm waiting for the cost of memory,
quality and price of scanners to go down...and most importantly to get the
100lines per millimeter and incredible pastel hue differentiation that
Kodachrome 25 renders over sampled by a scanner quickly & cheaply.  There's no
consensus on universal image archival file formats yet either...a big problem
for museums contemplating similar "scanning marathons"....!!!! After going
through this monumental exercise I don't want to be tempted to say, "Darn, I
need re scan all these images." Perhaps someone can persuade me. Any
experience
with professional scanners?

At 02:08 PM 12/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Kurt,
>
>Do you have any scans that might show all of us the differences between the
>Nikon and Zuiko 16mm's?   I'd be interested for one to see some tangible
>evidence.
>
>The only experience that I have is with my 16/3.5 Zuiko.  The pictures I
>get out of it are stunning!  And the lens is barely bigger than my 40/2!
>
>Skip
>
>At 12/13/99 08:37 AM  -0800, you wrote:
>>BJ Nichols.
>>
>>You should think twice about buying a Nikon if you like the 16mm focal
>>length.
>>
>>The fact is the Zuiko 16mm F/3.5 blows away the Nikkor AIS 16/2.8 at full
>>aperture and at f/8 on the edges and corners. Center performance of the
>>lenses is comparable. The Zuiko is less than half the size. It still blows
>>away the new floating element auto focus Nikkor 16mm/2.8 D in full aperture
>>comparison for edge sharpness. I found these results amazing but they were
>>tested using new, out of box lenses Nikkors relative to my 11 year old
>>Zuiko. These are not a single result since the tests results were
repeatable.

>>Moral of the story..
>>
>>1) Don't believe marketing.
>>2) You may not be able "Beat the System" outright....but can reveal what's
>>myth.........
>>

>>At 11:12 PM 12/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> >On second thought...
>> >
>> >I put together a web page with shots to show off the fisheye's
capabilities
>> >for a potential buyer and realized that some of my favorite images have
been
>> >captured with this lens. I'm adding a Nikon body and wide range zoom to my
>> >bag of tricks... with river trip action in mind, but OM has served me well
>> >for many years. No doubt I have some Olympus equipment that I can't
justify
>> >keeping, but I'd better think carefully about what I have and what I'd be
>> >losing.
>> >
>> >As soon as I have the "16mm" page up, I'll put a link on the list.
>> >
>> >Meanwhile, does anyone have comparative experience with the Nikon and
Zuiko