Re: [OM] considering 35-105 zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] considering 35-105 zuiko
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:45:11 +0000
At 17:30 12/10/99 , Larry Fisher wrote:
> I'm considering buying a 35-105; that range of moderate wide angle to
>portrait would cover 98 percent of what I do.
>What are people's thoughts on this lens?

Your lens list sounds like my original lens from about 20 years ago!

Been using a Zuiko 35-105 for almost 2 years now, mostly indoors with a
T-32 on an OM-4.  It allows getting good tight candids when maneuvering
around isn't possible.  For general indoors being able to back up to 35mm
in tight spots with groups of people can be handy also.  I was pleasantly
surprised with its strong performance, especially for a 3X zoom.

Would prefer a two-ring zoom.  Never have gotten used to a "one-touch" but
that is a personal preference.  Also wish it were an f/2.8~f/3.5 or an
f/3.5 throughout the focal length range, but then it would be a *lot* more
expensive.  I shoot the ISO 64 and 100 chromes; having a T32 helps get
enough light even zoomed out if I leave it at f/5.6 indoors.  For your
stated use it should do very well and probably better than the 75-150.  It
does get a little nose heavy with extended periods of hand-held use if
you're used to the smaller, lighter lenses.  Using a hand grip might help
with this.

Most of my outdoor work is with a 50mm but I've used the 35-105
occasionally as a "macro" although "close-up" is more accurate.  I don't
know if the "close-up" ring moves any of the glass around internally or
not.  Externally it looks to be the equivalent of about a 5-7mm extension tube.

Overall it's a very good zoom and versatile if the f/3.5~f/4.5 speed
doesn't bother you.

-- John