Re: [OM] the future of OM -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM -Reply
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:11:27 EST
In a message dated 12/14/1999 3:28:07 PM EST, SNelson@xxxxxxxx writes:

> <<Olympus USA is obliged by law in the US to support a product with repairs
> for 10 years after it is discontinued.  So if the OM-4T were discontinued
> tomorrow, you'd still have 10 years of support.>>

Not necessarily. It's happened before with products where the spares have run
out long before 10 years have elapsed. The manufacturer points to many
reasons "beyond their control" which usually has a real meaning of "we
planned poorly". Not one manufacturer has ever been forced to re-open an
assembly line, nor have they been fined. Even if say, some Government agency
went after a manufacturer and say, fined them, THAT will do you no good.
You'll still be holding an un-usable camera (can you say "doorstop"?).

George S.