Re: [OM] Basketball strategy

Subject: Re: [OM] Basketball strategy
From: Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:49:03 -0700

Barry B. Bean wrote:

> Got some great answers and suggestions, including:
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:07:06 -0700, Mike Stoesz wrote:
>
> >Hi Barry;
> >
> >I would go for the OM4t and 283, a difficult combination to beat for BB in
> >poorly lit gyms. A 285
> >would be a slightly better choice if you can find one.  In 15 years of small
> >newspaper
> >photojournalism, this combination (camera of choice and Vivitar 283/285)
> >never failed me.
>
> That makes sense, and uses equipment I have now. What film did you
> typically use? I'm leaning towards CZ800 (my color film of choice for
> outdoor night sports and concerts) for color and either Tri-X or
> TCN400 for b&w.

Barry;  I did most of my stint as a photojournalist from 1963 to 1980. Tri-X
was the film of choice
then.  My choice today with flash would be Ilford HP-5+ rated at 400 with
conventional processing in
Ilfosol-S liquid developer. For C-41 processing I would use either Konica
Monochrome (a great new
film) or Kodak T400CN with Ilford XP-2 Super as the 3rd choice.

If you need high speed B&W and shoot available light or flash with a broad
diffuser--I would choose
Ilfords new Delta 3200 and rate it at 800-1200 and meter for the shadows for
available light, you
might have to test for flash.  Alternate choice is Fuji Neopan 1600 -- a GREAT
true 1600 speed B&W
film.

For color the choice is Fuji 800 (any version).

Hope this helps,

Mike