RE: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm

Subject: RE: [OM] lenses that reach 200mm
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:10:27 +0100
Joseph writes:

,
> 2. the 65-200/4 is a fine lens, but the focal length adjustment cylinder
is
>    fully extended to focus at 200mm, making the lens a bit front heavy to
>    the point that I felt this lens would be well served by having a
tripod
>    mount.  the vivitar 70-210 has the same cylinder retracted close to
the
>    camera at 210mm, so at the higher magnifications (200mm) where
vibrations
>    are more of a problem, the center of gravity is closer to the camera.

One more time the theory of the two kind of this zoom ?

My Zuiko zoom 65 - 200 (and a lot of others that I know)  has the "focal
length adjustmen cylinder" close to the camera when I shot on 200 mm.

Yes, on this way the center of gravity is closer to the camera, but after
some tests on landscapes and Mira-test with this zoom 65 - 200 I guess this
zoom really needs a tripod mount. About this question I ask on the past to
some OM List members if they try some "home made tripod mount" for this
zoom, because as we all can see there is on the zoom a solid rim of  9 mm
between the apertures ring and the position of the cylinder on 200 mm where
begins the DOF scale.

I know that the equivalent zoom of other brands don´t have this tripod
mount, but this don´t solve my problem.

On the refered tests, I check this zoom vs the 85-250, 75-150 and Nikkor
80-200 f 4 (all the zoom of course on a solid tripod), and I think the
winner is the zoom  85-250 on the chapter of vibrations.

Until I try the home made tripod mount for the 65-200, I still prefer my
"modest"  75-150 + 200 f 5 for shot with tripod or hand held.

Ángel Lobo
Cuenca - Spain

..