Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:29:21 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:01:32 -0600, Jim Mueller wrote:

>Perhaps someday digital technology will put 35mm film into the realm of a 'mere
>curiousity'. If that every happens, the all manual OM-1 will still have more
>collector appeal as a classic camera of the '35mm film era', than a Canon Rebel
>G.

Perhaps, but on the other hand, after digital has been around long
enough for the novelty to wear off, there may be a resurgence of
interest in "pure" photography.

Consider tube guitar amplifiers. In the 1960s, solid state technology
all but replaced tube technology, and for most of the next decade,
any guitarist worth their salt had a solid state amplifier, solid
state effects, solid state everything. Tubes were simply inferior
technology and only used by musicians stuck in the past or too poor
to update their equipment.

But for the past 15 years or so, tubes have made a huge return, with
tube amps, tube effects, tube mics, etc. valued for their inimitable
sound. Today, vintage tube amps command huge prices, and every major
amplifier manufacturer now has top of the line models  using tubes.

Will your OM-1 be the camera equivalent of the Fender Tweed Bassman
in another decade? No way to tell. But I wouldn't rule it out.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx