[OM] Photo and OM2n questions.

Subject: [OM] Photo and OM2n questions.
From: Clendon Gibson <bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:50:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi.

I found this list while looking for answers about why
my OM2n had jammed and what I could do about it. But I
am so impressed by the range of the discussions going
on that I thought I would send some questions shot gun
style.

First My OM2n has jammed. I gather that this is not an
entirely uncommon occurance. I had just removed a roll
of film and was trying to put in another. The advance
lever won't advance. The shutter button won't depress.
The timer won't time out. It winds to a stop at about
11 o'clock and then no more. Firmly pressing on the
shutter button makes it unwind some more, but no good
comes of it. The mirror is down. I can see through the
view finder. The battery light comes on brightly.

The advice I have received so far is to "thump" it
into the palm of my hand. Get new batteries.
Apparently there is great skepticism about the battery
indicator. I have also been told that this could be
caused by dirt and grime and that my camera needs a
cleaning. (This by a salesman right after I asked him
how much cleanings where.) And last but definitly my
personal favorite, to open the motor winder openining
and carefully move the levers thus made visible.

Any other advice?

How often should I get a cleaning for my OM2n? How
much money is typical for a cleaning?

Lastly, I have been asked by a friend to take pictures
of her Pool Hall. As is typical of the genre it is
dark.

I took a roll of 800 there and apparently did not
bracket enough, because every picture seems
underexposed. I had a handheld lightmeter and what I
did was bracket one speed faster and one slower around
the suggested reading, which was one stop off of the
meter reading.

I shot using a 2.8 28mm and a 2.8 50mm. In most cases
I had the aperture wide open. An apparent consequence
of this is that the pictures are fuzzy. I am quessing
that this is a DOF problem. This leads to the stupid
question of the day. When you move the focus ring of
your lens all the way over to the infinity symbol what
does that mean?

I have a CD of this and if anyone is interested in
critiquing bad pool hall photos (with the interest of
improving my skills) I can make these available.

Any assistance to the barrage of Questions here is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!