Re: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of OM
From: "Glenn Garza" <glenngarza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:57:34 -0500
The story of tube resurgence for guitar amps is true, but because the tube
equipment produces much better sound. Tubes also play a big part in
expensive Hi-end audio equipment, again because some think they produce more
realistic harmonics and sound more like live music. It is percieved
performance that has driven this. If digital overtakes 35mm in use by
photgraphers, it will probably be at least equal in performance. IMHO, when
this happens it is neither logical nor probable that 35mm would enjoy the
same resurgence as have tubes. This is just [idle] speculation on my part.
Only time (and Bill Gates) can tell. Of course if the past is any
indication, people will like, eat, buy, drive, wear, watch, listen, and use
what marketing types want us to: Even if it is in fact inferior.
All the Best,
Glenn Garza