Re: [OM] Olympus Retro-zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Retro-zoom
From: k.berry@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:01:00 +0000
Simon E. wrote:

> lmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >  Has anyone got experience using this model?  I saw one or two
> >  reviews that cited a problem with rewinding film after about a year.
>
> I don't know about this specific problem, but someone warned me recently
> that many tele-zoom compacts, particularly Oly, necessitated repair sooner
> than one might normally expect.  They're a nightmare to work on too.  Fixed
> lens compacts do not suffer so badly.

When my Oly AZ-1 zoom p&s camera's film transport failed after about
five films - but over 12 months use - I looked outside the Olympus
catalogue for the first time in a couple of decades for a replacement.
I'd seen many glowing reports on newsgroups about the Espio 928 (by
Pentax, apparently the inventors of the zoom p&s) and when I found a
used one in a local shop I bought it, even paying an extra couple of
quid to extend the guarantee from 3 months to 12.
That was in October and the novelty hasn't worn off yet; I can hardly
put it down and have just collected my sixth set of prints from it,
cleaning out my "Winter stock" of Superia 400. It's my first ever camera
of this brand and it's made me wonder what I've been missing...

Regards
Keith Berry