[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:19:56 -0800 (PST)
    I am new to the Olympus, still a virgin...:-) but let me tell you something
about resurgence, etc.
One word...Leica. Go now and buy an old one...How much will you pay for that
old body and a good used lens? As a matter of fact. How many in this group
would not want to get one if you could afford it.
===========================

Just about anything with the Leica name printed on it is collectible to
some degree.  Don't count on any similar future for used Olympus equipment.
I'd say that the a few pieces will go collectible as the OM-3 and 40/2 did,
like maybe the 250/2 and 350/2.8, as an example, and maybe the 21/2.

As far as quality, I have owned Pentax screw mount, Canon FD mount,
Leica R mount, Agfa, and Olympus 35mm SLRs, and have used Nikon's.

Up to 100mm, Olympus lenses can rival and in some cases exceed what
other vendors can supply.  The 50/1.8 Zuiko's I have had and have have
all been sharper than the 50/2 Summicron-R I had with my Leica R3.

Beyond 100mm, Zuikos have a harder time standing up to direct side-by-side
comparisons with Nikon telephotos.  Clearly, Olympus is capable of making
state-of-the-art telephotos, witness the 250/2 and 350/2.8, but most of
their more normal sorts of teles are older designs that have not been
updated to run with the pack.

Joseph