[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:19:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Considering the folks who bemoan CD's as unlistenable and who hold
>precious the "warmth" of their vinyl recordings, there are bound to be
>plenty of misguided zealots who wax romantic about the "pointillism" of
>silver grains. Wet plate photography may not be the hip retro movement,
>but then again, I was SURE disco was dead.

>Best,

>BJ

Hate to break it to you, BJ, but wet plate photography *is* the hip retro
movement.  I just finished an article discussing this very trend:  seems
the avant garde are embracing 19th century photographic techniques.  (And
Sally Mann's hunting down old view camera lenses with fungus and
separation.)

This may disturb you, but it makes me happy.  I've recently rediscovered
the pointillism of Tri-X, and I like it a lot.  (Can't stand T-Max.)  And
I collect vinyl, for what it's worth.

Film won't go away so quickly, I suspect.

Doug Cooper