Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1296

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1296
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:15:08 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:43:00 -0800 (PST), Joseph wrote:

>As far as the question have prices of used OM stuff fallen in recent years,
>I can only go by my own attempts to sell used lenses.  3-4 years ago, I
>could sell a Zuiko on teh used market for about what I paid for it on the
>used market.  Today, it is fairly difficult to sell a Zuiko lens on the used
>market for what I typically would have had to and/or did pay for them 4+
>years ago.  All the evidence I have is that the demand for used Zuikos
>is significantly less than it was 4 years ago.

Of course, you need to factor the internet into your equation. 5 or
10 years ago, most users had only their local camera shop or a
handful of NY mail order shops as a resource for used equipment. Now,
through eBay, newsgroups, and mailing lists, it is not at all
uncommon to trade lenses across continents. In the past year I have
bought or sold lenses from Peach Orchard MO to Hong Kong, Canada,
Australia, Germany, and several US states. Further, these trades were
all essentially public, meaning that both parties were comparing
values with similar trades occurring elsewhere.

Crux of the matter is that for the individual user, supply has
increased. For the market as a whole, supply and demand have become
much better acquainted with each other and the market worksmore
efficiently. Hence, a lower price makes economic sense.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co/Bean Farms                http://www.beancotton.com