Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1297
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:25:18 -0800
C.H. Ling,

The Zuiko 300/4.5 is an ED design and very sharp, though I haven't put it
head to head with Leitz or Nikon 300's. You'll need a body with mirror and
aperture prefire for the best results at slower shutter speeds.

At 10:12 PM 12/16/99 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi Joseph,
>
>Have you tried the Zuiko 300/4.5 ? besides the difficult in handling (due
to non
>IF design), I personal feel this lens is very sharp and excellent in
color. You
>also forgot to mention the 180/2 which should possess the same high quality
>as the 250/2 and 350/2.8.
>
>C.H.Ling
>

>>As far as quality, I have owned Pentax screw mount, Canon FD mount,
>>Leica R mount, Agfa, and Olympus 35mm SLRs, and have used Nikon's.
>>
>>Up to 100mm, Olympus lenses can rival and in some cases exceed what
>>other vendors can supply.  The 50/1.8 Zuiko's I have had and have have
>>all been sharper than the 50/2 Summicron-R I had with my Leica R3.
>>
>>Beyond 100mm, Zuikos have a harder time standing up to direct side-by-side
>>comparisons with Nikon telephotos.  Clearly, Olympus is capable of making
>>state-of-the-art telephotos, witness the 250/2 and 350/2.8, but most of
>>their more normal sorts of teles are older designs that have not been
>>updated to run with the pack.
>>
>>Joseph

Kurt Hurley IDS 2000 Product Marketing Manager
Schlumberger T&T - Diagnostic Systems
1601 Technology Drive San Jose CA 95110
email khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PH 408-437-5156  FAX 408-437-9031 PG 408-699-4587