RE: [OM] the future of OM

Subject: RE: [OM] the future of OM
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:56:42 +0800
Dylan wrote:

> I have to agree with that, except that I haven't seen a _cheap_ (under
> $300 asking) OM1 or 2 for a while. The last body I got was a
> dented OM1
> with a dodgy 3rd party hotshoe for $225. It turned out to
> have a shutter
> problem, which the shop actually fixed after the official warranty
> period (either they're just nice, or they recognise that I buy all my
> film there!).
> As for the premium on unusual gear, how about these items I
> saw this morning:
> 250 back with loading gadget $999
> QA310 $249

These normally sell for around $AU100

> QA 310 on bounce grip $550
> Winder2 with nicad and charger $699

Just W2 usually sell around $AU140

> OM4 (not ti) with 50/1.8 $1199!!

Seen these for around $AU400

> 55mm f1.2 $550
> OM2 $399

Seems about normal

> T20 $149

Seems about normal

> Compared to third party stuff:  eg Tokina II 100-300 5.6 $120
> Note that these are all camera store prices with 12 month
> warranty, but
> the prices are still outrageous!

Some definitely are !

> There is the occasional bargain like the T20 I got from a pawn shop a
> month ago for $25. It was in excellent condition, but I lost the guide
> table the very next day at a friends wedding:-(

Camera shops often seem to bump the prices up considerably.  I find you need
to wait till the item you want turns up at a reasonable price.  This is
obviously no consolation if you need a specific item in a hurry for a
specific job.  Pawn shops are a good source, e.g. recently I got a 35-70 f4
in excellent condition for $AU25, OM-1 MD with 50mm f1.8 & 135mm f3.5 for
$AU85 (OM-1 body needs foam replacement).

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/