Re: [OM] the future of film

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:01:56 +0000
At 10:28 12/17/99 , Dirk Wright wrote:
>With all this worry about the future of the OM system, I just read an
>article on the photodo web site about the environmental crack down on
>photo processing chemicals. The article is specific mostly to Sweden,
>but I'm sure this is going to spread. I know in the USA already that
>the EPA has regulations for photo chemicals. I don't know all the
>details, but I think large operations here in the US are required to
>have silver recovery systems at least.
<snip>
>So, forget about the future of the OM system. The cameras may outlast
>the film industry. Digital may become the only practical alternative!

Dirk,
Investigate some time what gets used to create electronics.  Start with the
components (IC's and discretes).  Work up to printed circuit board level
with board laminates and solder, and then look at all the plastics at
assembly level.  Most people never see the inside of plants that do these
things, have much knowledge about the process materials used in the end
product, or know anything about the manufacturing processes.  Makes a home
darkroom look tame by comparison.  In the U.S. waste recovery and disposal
methods for electronics manufacturing are a major undertaking and are a
continuous issue (for both liability and regulatory compliance).  All the
major electronics firms are continuously looking at how to get out from
under some of the materials, chemicals and processes currently used.

I occasionally wonder what the practical alternatives are to some of what
we do at work.  I work for a major electronics manufacturer and am directly
involved with some of the manufacturing.  Fundamental processes at very
basic levels used to create electronics as we know it today will have to
ultimately change too.

IMHO increased scrutiny of photochemical processes may increase costs for
recovery and/or disposal, and may hamper home darkroom operations, but I
don't think film is going away that soon.  Between WWI and WWII photography
was not within the easy economic reach of the average consumer because of
cost.  Prior to WWI it was out of reach.  Would we return to those times?
Probably not.  I would agree things will change, but neither that rapidly
nor that drastically.

Don't categorize "digital" as a completely "green" alternative to film and
photochemistry.  It's definitely not.

-- John