[OM] Re: OM vs. Rangefinders

Subject: [OM] Re: OM vs. Rangefinders
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:00:27 -0800
Interesting thread. I once had a Leica M2 (when I was learning
photography in the early 70's). It was because I liked the Leica so much
that attracted me to the OM1 when they first came out. A versatile SLR
system that offered the compactness, (kinda close to) quietness, and
quality feel of the Leica. I recall in the early days Olympus' marketing
hype in the US claimed Zuikos were comparable to, or better than,
Leica's lenses. (My first job was as a "gopher" in a camera store/rental
lab in Monterey, CA. at the tender age of about 13.) I got an early OM1
in the early 70s and never looked back. Of course when I got into
motorsports work later on the OM system was better for my purposes. That
said, my favorite motorsports photographer, Jesse Alexander, used Leica
rangefinders for his motorsports work (in the 50's and 60's anyway) and
his results are spectacular. (He has a web site BTW at
www.jessealexander.com)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com