[OM] Zuiko 300mm f/4.5 ED or not ED

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f/4.5 ED or not ED
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:04:00 -0800
Jim,

Thanks for the reference. The insruction manual with the Zuiko 300/4.5 lens
does indicates "special glass". Strictly speaking "ED" as Nikon uses the
terms refers to extra low disperion glass (minimal difference in the index
of refraction of over the entire visible spectrum). But there is no
standard for this term "ED", just as with "APO". However dispersion itself
can be quantfied by the Abbe number..... a measure of the refractive index
spread at three Frauenhofer lines in the visible spectrum.

Yet, another strategy in minimizing secondary color aberations in a lens,
perhaps the one used inthe Zuiko 300/4.5, can be to use anomalous
dispersion glass. The spread in dipersion over the visible spectrum is
non-linear. Leica uses this in the M Aspherical Elmarit 24mm f/2.8. The end
effect is the same.....reduced secondary color but the glass used is not
"ED" strictly speaking Olympus doesn't make that claim.

It all comes down to lens manufactures using loosely defined optics terms