[OM] OM vs. Contax G2 vs. Leica M

Subject: [OM] OM vs. Contax G2 vs. Leica M
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:47:57 -0800 (PST)
======================
I doubt if the Contax 90 can outperform the current 90mm
APO-M, even wide open at 2.0!
======================

I suspect Contax advertises heavily in the magazine that claimed their
lenses outperformed Leica M.  but the contax 90 has a max. aperture of
f/2.8, so you are right that it cannot touch any 90/2 summicron at f/2.

But if considering an OM system, Contax G2, or Leica M for a portable camera,
I think optical quality is about the last thing I'd worry about as all
three systems will offer outstanding image quality, particularly in the
range of focal lengths that all three support and would be considered portable.
Probably the only edge is for a medium tele. where Leica wins out on
account of the 90/2 being excellent and portable.  With OM, the 85/2 is
portable, but no match for the 90/2 summicron in quality, whereas the
100/2 Zuiko is bigger and heavier and the 100/2.8 is slower.

I'd only consider the G2 if I needed autofocus for some reason.  It is a
much more limiting system otherwise.  Also, a G2 will depreciate more than
an M6 when the G3 comes out than when the M7 comes out.

Joseph